We’ve over the last couple of weeks shared interesting spots with fun activities in various Provinces within South Africa, also talked about a good number of National Parks in the country and today, we are continuing the hunt for national parks and this time we’re taking you to the Free State Province we’ll introduce you to the park known for its Golden, ochre, and orange-hued sandstone cliffs and outcrops. Welcome to Golden Gate Highlands National Park.
The park is popular and often remembered by the presence of Brandwag Rock!
We’re helping you discover 5 amazing fun things you could do at the Golden Gate Highlands National Park but before then, let’s get to know a few things about this Amazing fun filled memorable place!
Where is Golden Gate Highlands National Park Located?
For every adventure it is important to always know what direction to go so let’s find out where the park is located.
Golden gate Highlands National park is located in the Free State Province of South Africa, The address is Clarens, 9707, South Africa. It is very close to the border between Lesotho and South Africa. The park is just about 60 Kilometers away from Bethlehem Airport which is of course the closest Airport!
Remember, the Park is bigger than a country like Malta as its sized 340 Square Kilometers!
Is it possible to reach Golden Gate Highlands National Park With Bus?
There is hardly anywhere in South Africa that is not reachable by bus. Buses are very available and affordable since the country is home to a lot of parks and safaris.
Getting to the park is possible but you must get to the Harrismith Bus Terminal which is located here . It is the only bus station located at least 45 Kilometers away from the Highlands national park.
At the bus terminal, you’d come across other tour service vehicles that can take you to the park but during my time, i did enjoy the ride by Intercape which i’d say is the most reliable amongst all.
There is Greyhound, Eldo coaches, Translux and the megabus. As a visitor, you can make your reservations via the company website of these transport companies.
Show me some golden gate highlands national park photos
Well, there are more photos of the Highland national Park than you could ever imagine. We have attached several pictures of this amazing spot below, but we’ll also link you to other resources that has more pictorial representations than this platform can ever hold!
Now that i’ve shared the location, it’ll be nice to conclude without sharing the fun and memorable stuffs i did at the Highlands National Park! It was so memorable, i spent hours talking about it with my siblings when i returned to the States!
Fun Things to do in Golden Gate Highlands National Park, Free State
It is important to note that what stands as fun to one might not be for another individual but as far as i am concerned, i know i have toured a lot of other amazing Parks and fun places in South Africa, but the terrain and amazing things here is uncountable. No wonder people during my tour began to ask if the locals sold plots around the Park!
- See the Basotho Cultural Village: This is one interesting i was opportune to do while in Free state. You see, when you tour the Highlands national Park. you’re going to be a step away from the Basotho people. This living museum offers a glimpse into the traditional culture of the Basotho people, who live in the nearby Lesotho mountains. Visitors can see traditional Basotho houses, learn about Basotho crafts and traditions, and even try traditional Basotho food.
- Hike or mountain bike on one of the many trails. The park has a variety of trails to suit all levels of experience, ranging from short easy walks to challenging multi-day hikes. Some of the most popular trails include the Glen Reenen Trail, which leads to a natural swimming pool and waterfall, and the Rhebok Hiking Trail, which offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Go on a 4×4 safari. The park is home to a variety of wildlife, including antelope, zebra, and wildebeest. Visitors can take a guided 4×4 safari to see these animals up close.
- Go stargazing. The park is located in a remote area with very little light pollution, making it ideal for stargazing. Visitors can bring their own telescopes or binoculars, or join a guided stargazing tour.
- Visit the Brandwag rock. This iconic rock formation is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the park. Visitors can climb to the top of the rock for stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. Personally i made several shots of this great rock. I never wanted to be told about it cos it was one of the many things i went to see!
How much is golden gate highlands national park Entry tickets?
It is interesting to learn the ticket price is varied depending on your country of origin and Age. At the gate, South Africans adults are charged just 70 Rand, Their young brothers get to pay 35 Rand while Foreign visitors pay double to visit the Park.
If you have kids of 3 years and below, you do not have to worry as they can enter free without buying a ticket!
What Animals Exists at Golden Gate Highlands National Park?
If you’re an animal lover, you’ll find a good number of interesting animals at the park. This includes various species of Antelope…
The common Animals you’ll watch includes:
Springbok: There exists a great number of Springbok at the Highlands National Park. Remember its a mammal that takes pleasure in Springing especially when running for safety!
Chacma baboon: Is another popular animal you’ll find at the park. They’re often seen in small groups usually mothers and their young ones.
Black wildebeest: This unique antelope is endemic to South Africa, and Golden Gate Highlands National Park is one of the best places to see them. Black wildebeests are known for their distinctive black and white markings and their loud, barking calls.
Blesbok: This graceful antelope is another popular attraction at Golden Gate Highlands National Park. Blesboks are known for their white faces and their ability to jump up to 4 meters high.
Eland: The eland is the largest antelope in Africa, and it can be found in Golden Gate Highlands National Park. Elands are known for their gentle nature and their spiral horns.
Grey rhebok: This small antelope is found in the mountainous regions of South Africa, including Golden Gate Highlands National Park. Grey rheboks are known for their agility and their ability to blend in with their surroundings.
Oribi: The oribi is the smallest antelope in South Africa, and it is also one of the rarest. Oribis are found in the grasslands and foothills of Golden Gate Highlands National Park. They are known for their shy nature and their distinctive black and white markings.
These and many more are just a few of the numerous animals i was opportune to spot at the park! You can find more animals via Wikipedia
Before You Go…
No doubt, Africa is indeed a wonderful land. It is a home of different and amazing things. For Free State Province of South Africa, Golden Gate Highlands National Park is certainly one of the most memorable fun places to visit and i hope you get to have as much fun as i did. I think i will highly recommend, i will visit once again and hopefully with my family! I am getting married soon!